domingo, 3 de abril de 2011

Two Poems

I chose two poems for today. Both are dramatic and full of frilly words, but it works for me. Both touch on the forces of nature and therein lies the drama, reflected onto the human soul. The first one is Weather, by Ambrose Pierce, the next is Dream Within a Dream, by Edgar Allen Poe, both classic poets from way back when. I love good poems for they are the expression of the word for its own sake and how beautiful they are put together in different ways...suddenly you come upon a poem and it strikes your "word eye", and for some reason, it is special to you. How is that not amazing??




Weather


Once I dipt into the future far as human eye could see,
And I saw the Chief Forecaster, dead as any one can be--
Dead and damned and shut in Hades as a liar from his birth,
With a record of unreason seldome paralleled on earth.
While I looked he reared him solemnly, that incandescent youth,
From the coals that he'd preferred to the advantages of truth.
He cast his eyes about him and above him; then he wrote
On a slab of thin asbestos what I venture here to quote--
For I read it in the rose-light of the everlasting glow:
"Cloudy; variable winds, with local showers; cooler; snow."

Ambrose Bierce

The bits and pieces that are essence for me: 
fas as human eye could see
the advantages of truth
I venture here to quote
cloudy;variable winds, with local showers;cooler;snow.


A Dream Within A Dream



Take this kiss upon the brow!

And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow-
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

Edgar Allen Poe

Essence for moi:
All that we see or seem
I stand amid the roar
while I weep - while I weep!
O God, can I not save them from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem...dream within a dream?


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário